Thursday, October 2, 2014

A New Quest - Eating around the World

I'mtaking my family on a new journey,  one that will transport us to a new country every couple days. Sounds impossible,  or perhaps the word I'm looking for is INSANE,  especially considering  we have 2 outgoing, spunky toddlers.

Rest assured,  I'm only a teensy bit insane.   Instead, this would be a culinary journey.   A journey into the most fascinating part of travel - FOOD!   Here's my challenge:   Cook an authentic, from scratch recipe from every country on Earth within the next year and blog about it.

Why? What?  Well...Marc actually put the idea in my head.    He's currently reading a book about making your life more meaningful through life "quests".    He offered up this culinary quest as an example from the book and well... now I can't stop thinking about how interesting and fun this could be.     Of course, I'm always up for a new challenge.   Furthermore, as a work from home mom,  I crave the potential intellectual stimulation this quest could provide.

So,  I'm now putting the challenge out there as a written commitment.    Take Note!  Starting this Sunday, October 5th, I vow to cook my way through all 196 countries.   I vow to make one original, from scratch recipe from each country on this great planet of ours within the next 365 days.  When given the opportunity,  I will attempt to stick true to our low-carb lifestyle of eating.    However,  I'm sure that there will be a tasty dessert treat here and there that I must sacrifice to the benefit of the research - Oh, twist my arm!

Now, how to pick the countries?    I came up with an idea to start with countries I have visited in chronological order.   My first international trip , to the best of my recollection, was a Caribbean Cruise when I was about 6 years old.    So,   for the next week I am going to tackle the following countries:

St. Martin/ St. Maarten ( wow, one island two different countries, never knew that!)
Antigua
Martinque

So,  stay tuned in.   "Aruba, Jamaica...oooo,.. I wanna take ya,  Bermuda, Bahama...come on pretty mama"


No comments:

Post a Comment