Thursday, November 6, 2014

Cheese lovers .... rejoice!

So lately I've been conquering a new recipe almost every night,   you gotta feed your family, right?    And its just so much fun to try something new all the time.   But,  I just can't blog everyday.  So  I've decided to blog once a week with the highlights.

So far this week I've made  Garlic Pork & Yuca Fritas (Guyana), Moussaka (Greece's National Dish), Colombian Beans and Rice,  and Keshi Yena ( Aruba).     All these recipes were delicious and I'll post links with pictures below.

Let me reiterate,  I am a dietitian, but I'm no chef.     My attempts at these recipes are at best amateur in nature and sometimes fail miserably, such as my last post with the Puerto Rican Pastelon.

My attempt at the Moussaka, was gallant but filled with errors.    Somehow amid the burnt eggplant slices and bechamel sauce explosion + forgotten ingredients,   I pulled off an fairly delicious dinner.  Although, you can't go wrong with a dish covered in buttery, cheesy white sauce.  Furthermore,  while I was cooking my bechamel sauce,  a 2 lb. bag of brown sugar fell out of the overhead cabinet - smack into my saucepan.    Hot white sauce shot all over me and the surrounding area. Needless to say,  the kids picked up on a few new cuss words that night.


 Moussaka is the greek version of lasanga with layers of eggplant, meat and a delicious white (bechamel) sauce on top.  If you've never had it,  I highly recommend this recipe:  Moussaka Recipe

It even looks beautiful if you botch the cooking.





And now for the featured recipe:  Keshi Yena.   

 This is a quick and easy dish with a unique flavor.   Just when you think you've had chicken prepared in every possible manner,   this dish will impress with new flavors and  minimal effort.  You can even use leftover shredded chicken if you wish.




KESHI YENA:   RECIPE


"The slaves of the former Dutch colony of Aruba developed Keshi Yena. To this day it is served in the most renowned restaurants on the island. At the time, the Dutch masters of the large plantations ate traditional Gouda or Edam cheese. It was produced in large wheels that were covered in wax. Naturally, they ate them from the center, gradually coring the cheese out until they were hollow and just the waxed rind was left. The leftover hardened rind found its way into the plantation workers’ kitchens where the dish was born. The cooks would peel the wax off and soak the rind in water. Then they filled the center with leftover bits of meat or fish and vegetables and baked it until the cheese melted.
Over time, the dish became known as Keshi Yena, which translates from the local language to “stuffed cheese.” It was prepared in kitchens throughout the island with the addition of olives, raisins, capers, local spices, as well as scotch bonnet peppers. Now in the mainstream, the cheese is stuffed with anything the home cooks or restaurant chefs have available. It is very versatile and can be made with all your favorites ingredients and can be different every time!"

My version:   So I looked and looked and could not find large Edam wheels.  I couldn't even find the little 1/2 pounders in wax.   The only thing close was the little Baby Bells which would have been appetizer size, at best! So I resorted to using the alternative recipe, listed above,  that used sliced Gouda.   

Of course after I purchased all the ingredients,  I spied a wax ball of Edam at of all places....my gym!     I'm not sure why they had a ball of Edam cheese in the display case with the protein bars and bananas... but I really was tempted to ask if I could purchase the ball of half eaten cheese.

Anyhow,  I resorted to my original plan of using pre-packaged slices of Gouda cheese.   In hindsight,  I recommend going with Edam,  sliced super slim by the deli.  My slices were a bit to thick to work with.    Anyway you slice it (ha, ha),   this was a way deliciously rich dish.  You may need a glass of wine or two to cut the richness of the cheese.  Or just to enjoy!

The other worldly recipes:


Garlic Pork:  Garlic Pork Recipe

Yuca Fritas:  Yuca Fritas Recipe


  
If you've never seen a Yuca root (I hadn't) here is a pic:

Columbian Style Beans (Frijoles Columbiano):   Colombian Beans Recipe

 I used basic small red beans, precooked in a  pressure cooker.  Turned out delicious with smoked sausage and rice.



No comments:

Post a Comment