Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Wanted: Ghost Adventurer looking for spirited children

I love being an adult,  I love working for my own "allowance",  I love spending money on what I want.  I love being able to do what I want when I want.  Well, hardly ever on that latter statement,  I am a stay at home mom to  a 3 and 5 year old.  And they seem to consume me on their own schedule.

But as I sit on my beautiful patio and sip a glass of wine,   I reflect on the fact that ever since I can remember,  I've always wanted to be an adult.  I can't help but think about school and the choices I made.    I always wanted the shortest schooling possible.  Freshman year of college - I was appalled that other students were able to get AP credit.  What??  MY school didn't offer this.   If there was an accelerated mode of college,  I would have signed up. Why?  So I could become an adult quicker.    In fact,  I had the grades and interest to go to medical school,  but 4-6 more years of schooling and interning was an impossible feat for me to wrap my mind around.   I wanted to make money and be a productive member of society ASAP.

I see this very same desire in my 5 year old son.   He has the adult wanting already and it is STRONG.    Everyday is battle of freedom.   He wants,  I set boundaries.   He wanders,  I chase.   He pushes,  I stand firm.   It is exhausting.  Daily, hourly, secondly... I battle his overwhelming desire for adultness.  He sneaks out of  our house, 3-5 times a day,  just to start a conversation with any adult he encounters.    Neighbors be warned.    They often take their dinners inside just to get some peace.   The guy running down the bike path - blindsided by the cute 5 year old that just wanted to talk for hours.  I've joked that I need to get him a job as a Walmart greeter.  If they hired kids - we'd be the first in line.

Just yesterday, my son was convinced that he was a Ghost Adventurer from the Travel Channel show.   (Probably doesn't help that the lead ghost adventurer is also named Zak).    My young Zach insisted, with the intensity of a mountain lion, that this was his real life purpose and he would not come inside until he found someone with a ghost to rid.     Hours later it was dusk and I was losing my patience fast.   

No amount for Love and Logic,  123 Magic,  Supernanny, blunt force, or bribery, was getting him to change his mind.  "No Mom,  this is real life and I am a real live ghost adventurer.  I am going to stay outside until I find a person that needs my help."

No son,   I need help.  Whose goin' help me with this overly persistent, precocious, strong willed kid that won't listen to anybody but his own head.  

He seeks independence, attention, and affirmation like a mosquito to a warm body.      At the grocery store he talks to any and every adult that will listen.    He purposefully "gets lost" so that he can engage an adult to help him,  even though I'm typically an arms length away.   At the dog park or beach - anywhere really - he immediately finds an adult to engage and hours later I have to pry him away with promises of sushi rolls.

I'm well-read in the art of parenting.    I've got about 20+ books on my kindle to prove it. Not one of these books prepared me for this kid.   That is until I read  Raising the Spirited Child.   This is my bible.    If any of these traits plus more sound familiar to you ,  I encourage you to read this blessed book - it is my child rearing bible.

"Spirited" -  I once thought that was a "nice" term for kids who were strong willed.    That's only a small portion of it.   Spirited kids are like Jim Carrey or Robin Williams on crack.   They are INTENSE, persistent, sensitive, perceptive, energetic, irregular  -  they are just MORE.   More than you'll ever imagine.    My spirited child is all of these things to the Nth degree.   He's tough, he's sweet, he's funny, he's obnoxious, he's going to make one hell of an adult.  But as a child - hold on for the ride!

If you happen to be the lucky recipient of a spirited child,  please let me know.   I really need a support system in place.   This is one wild ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment